|Category / Case Study||Checklist of Actions Taken by Veterinarians|
|I. Clinical signs of bleeding; no history of exposure.||• Collection of blood samples for routine blood counts and coagulation profile.*
• Treatment with vitamin K1 plus blood transfusion(s), if needed.
|II. Known exposure to anticoagulant rodenticide; no obvious clinical signs of bleeding at time of admission.||• Induce vomiting.
• Obtain sample of product and/or packaging and identify it whenever possible.
• Collection of blood samples, as above, to confirm diagnosis and provide data in the event of legal action.
• Treatment with vitamin K1 as a prophylactic measure if lab data are abnormal.
* To establish responsibility for the incident now or at a later date (Note: cost factors need to be considered and interpretation may be complicated when the time from exposure to sampling is unknown).