Rozol® RTU Field Rodent Bait is a commercial product that may be used for the control of Ground Squirrels (Richardson’s, Columbian, Franklin’s and Thirteen-lined) in rangelands, pulse/seed crops, crop and non-crop areas.
Ground Force® Paraffinized Pellets are a commercial product that may be used for the control of Ground Squirrels (Richardson’s, Columbian, Franklin’s and Thirteen-lined) in rangelands, crop and non-crop areas.
Areas of Use
Ground squirrels typically inhabit rangelands, pulse/seed crops and areas directly adjacent to crops. Placement of baits directly into the burrows or the use of bait stations is required to reduce hazards to children and non-target animals.
Helpful Application Tips / Application Directions
Locate all the ground squirrel burrows in the area of treatment and place 7 - 14 grams (0.25 - 0.50 oz.) of bait into each burrow. Re-visit the site within 48 hours and re-bait all burrows where bait has been consumed or removed. A third re-baiting visit may be necessary for control. Do not re-bait burrows where the bait is undisturbed. Remove and bury any squirrel carcasses which are present above ground.
BEST PRACTICES - Using Bait Stations
Determine the approximate population present by visual count over a two-day period. In areas where ground squirrels are present, establish protected bait stations or tamper resistant boxes with an entrance hole of 7.6 cm (3 inches) using 1 station for every 50 animals counted. Place 500 grams (17.6 oz.) of bait into the stations and check daily. Maintain an uninterrupted supply for 3 weeks or until all signs of feeding have stopped.
In areas where ground squirrels have been known to inhabit, but are not currently present, preventative baiting in stations can be accomplished by placing stations containing 500 grams (17.6 oz.) of bait every 30-60 m (100 – 200 ft.). Replace spoiled or moldy bait as necessary. Remove and bury any squirrel carcasses which are present above ground.
Use Limitations - Ground Squirrels
Bait placed outdoors and above-ground in residential areas, public areas or any other sites that are or will be open to the public (for example, Pick-Your-Own sites) or in locations accessible to pets or livestock MUST be placed in Tier 1 bait stations.
Tier 1 bait stations must have the following characteristics:
- constructed of high-strength material (e.g., metal or injection-moulded plastic) and resistant to destruction by children and non-target animals;
- have an entrance designed so that children and non-target animals cannot reach the bait;
- have an internal structure that prevents bait from being shaken loose;
- have an access panel which fastens securely and locks (e.g., metal screw or padlock);
- bear the product name, active ingredient, guarantee, registration number, “WARNING POISON”, and the skull and crossbones symbol;
- be resistant to destruction or weakening by elements of typical non-catastrophic weather (such as snow, rains, extremes of temperature and humidity, direct sunshine, etc.).
Specimen Label and Safety Data Sheet
|Label (Eng)||Label (Fr)||SDS (Eng)||SDS (Fr)|
|Rozol RTU (Eng)||Rozol RTU (Fr)||Rozol RTU (Eng)||Rozol RTU (Fr)|
|Ground Force (Eng)||Ground Force (Fr)||Ground Force (Eng)||Ground Force (Fr)|